Binchotan Activated Charcoal is characterized as the highest grade charcoal in the world. For many centuries, it has been used in Japan for its excellent purification properties in absorbing harmful substances from water and air. Coming from the Kishu region of Japan, Binchotan Charcoal is made from 100% ubame oak tree. Binchotan naturally removes chemicals such as chlorine, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), pesticides, glyphosates (like in the weed killer, roundup), chloroform, sulfates, heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, mercury, etc. And all the while imparting healthy minerals and alkaline properties to the water.
As a wellness lifestyle option, it is easy to adopt and provides a sensible, environmentally-friendly water filtering choice. This charcoal is a guaranteed way to get filtered water without any plastic waste. The fact is, almost all commercial water filters use charcoal as their main ingredient. Charcoal is nature's filter.
The expiration date of the charcoal is heavily dependent on 2 main factors: 1) how much one drinks on average per day and 2) how clean one's tap water is to start. Each stick will last at least 3 months. After it's life as a water filter, binchotan is highly effective as bio-char (break up into smaller pieces and bury in your garden soil).
- After 3+ hours of filtration, water is crisp and ready for drinking.
- Each stick helps filter water for approximately 4 to 6 months, depending on the amount of water being purified (how much water you drink per day) and the amount of chemicals in the water being adsorbed (how clean the tap water is to begin with).
- Binchotan is an effective and low carbon option to better tasting water for your family and pets without the negative effects of BPA or added waste.
- It helps improve air quality too! Binchotan assists in purifying air by absorbing negative ions, excess air moisture, and stinky odors.
- Suitable for use in the fridge, closets, shoe storage areas, pet areas and any place where the control of smell and moisture need a boost.
Rinse stick, boil for 10 minutes, and allow to dry thoroughly before first use. once dry, place in container of water. We recommend a vessel made of glass or ceramic. For best results, allow charcoal to purify water for at least 3 hours before drinking. overnight is best (because you don't have to keep track of the time!).
Please note this is for use with potable water only.
Recharge + Replace
- boil for 10 minutes every 2-4 weeks to keep the charcoal's water-purifying qualities active. once the charcoal stick stops releasing air bubbles during the boiling/reactivating process, it's time to replace.
- place in a sunny spot for several hours to keep the charcoal's air-purifying qualities active. replace the charcoal after one year of dry use.
Every stick is 100% biodegradable. When it's time to dispose, break up the charcoal and sprinkle in the garden or in the soil of potted plants. The carbon-rich nature of Binchotan acts as compost and imparts fertilizing qualities to soil.
Binchotan is a natural product - variations in size and shape may occur. Made solely of ubame oak branches from japan, never bamboo or any alternative charcoal source from another country.
Using The Silo's ethos of only the least packaging necessary, your charcoal will arrive to you as it did to us: loose, unpackaged. 2 cheers for no plastic! Hip hip, hooray!